Vision & Strategic Plan
Able, Responsive, Family Physicians Serving Their Communities
The mission of the Maryland Academy of Family Physicians is to support and promote Maryland Family Physicians in order to improve the health of our State’s patients, families and communities.
STRATEGIC PLAN 2019-2021
Areas of Focus
Create opportunities for Member Involvement and Member Engagement
Goal 1: Increase member engagement by creating more opportunities for member participation and involvement
- Identify and utilize measurements to evaluate member engagement (i.e. community service, website traffic)
- Explore and promote opportunities to partner with other groups to provide professional resources that add to member value (i.e. education, advocacy and executive training)
- Offer tools for members to connect with one another outside of live activities (i.e. member-only section, group forums, community service opportunities, increase engagement with residency programs)
- Promote engagement in Public Health issues and in Implicit Bias Training.
Support and Promote Physician Wellbeing
Goal 1: Improve Family Physician career satisfaction by supporting and promoting physician wellbeing
- Explore and implement activities and programs to encourage peer support and mentoring (i.e. regional meet-ups)
- Encourage member participation in wellbeing programs
- Incorporate wellbeing programs in Annual Meeting and through other Educational Offerings
- Promote wellbeing programming and resources
- Create platforms for expression at meetings to capture member stories, pictures, etc.
- Create and implement strategies to engage employers in addressing wellbeing
- Identify and engage employers in addressing wellbeing and administrative burden
- Identify and pursue opportunities to partner with other healthcare groups to address wellbeing (i.e. MedChi)
- Create wellbeing mentor programs for residents
Grow and Maintain a Family Medicine Workforce
Goal 1: Identify and promote strategies and opportunities to engage early interest in FM
- Connect with undergraduate facilities
- Create and implement strategies to engage high school students
- Educate FM residents on how to interact with medical students
- Reenergize the Foundation to support pathways to FM programs
Goal 2: Create opportunities to engage pre-med students
- Create and maintain a mentorship program
- Develop a recruitment strategy for mentors
Goal 3: Promote Maryland as an attractive place to practice
- Promote and explore enhancement of Preceptor Tax Credit Program
- Promote and explore expanding MD State Loan Repayment Program to part-time physicians
- Investigate and promote a new physician tax credit for relocating to MD
Promote and Advocate for Family Medicine Payment Reform
Goal 1: Continue to promote and advocate for payment reform in an effort to lower healthcare costs and improve patient care in Maryland.
- Develop resources and tools on how to successfully navigate the MD All-Payer Model
- Explore involvement in the promotion of “Primary Care Spend”.
- Build coalitions and leverage outside groups (i.e. ACLU and EEOC) to assist members in achieving and promoting pay equity
- Collaborate with insurance companies regarding quality payment metrics’
- Identify and engage in strategies to improve health care cost and increase payment.